Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Student success statement
I have been asked what I mean by ‘word of honor.’ I will tell you: Place me behind prison walls ---walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into the ground --- there is a possibility that in some way or another I might be able to escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of that circle? No, never! I’d die first.” - Karl G. Maeser



You might be attempted to spit it out, however, you must keep your word. Maeser then provides examples of the obstacles you might face such as being place behind the prison walls  that is so high and very sturdy and you can’t go past it. No matter what, you might escape but you can draw a chalk line across him and have him give his word of honor never to cross it. You mustn't get out of that circle. You gave your word. As Karl states, “ No, never! I’d die first.”  For instance, if you promise to your friend that you will bring her color pencils back by tomorrow and you have them your word, you must never get out of that and keep your word. That is your word of honor and you must keep it no matter what. If you don’t keep your word, you might as well be very sad and disappointed in yourself, because you gave the person your word of honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment